Refugee support services at universities: Support in every situation
German universities offer numerous counselling services, most of which focus on academic advising, legal counselling and support with finding suitable accommodation. The “Refugee Law Clinics” at the universities provide legal counselling. Many organisations can help with everyday problems, for example, accompanying you to appointments with the municipal authorities.
by the Editors
Universities, student groups and other organisations offer numerous services which can help you get started in Germany. For example, you can receive advising, take advantage of mentoring programmes or participate in recreational activities.
DAAD support measures for refugees at German universities
With its programme Welcome – Students Helping Refugees, the DAAD funds student projects which help refugees gain orientation at the beginning of their studies at a German university. They provide a broad range of services, such as information seminars, academic advising, campus tours, language partners and much more.
In addition to offering seminars on academic working methods, the German students can help you make social contacts even outside the university.
If you happen to need advice on legal issues, you can receive help from so-called “Refugee Law Clinics” which are also funded through the programme.
The programme Integra – Integrating Refugees in Degree Programmes creates the ideal conditions for getting you ready for university study. Universities and preparatory colleges offer academic advising, verify certificates of refugees interested in studying and offer language and preparatory courses which prepare you for university study in Germany.
The preparatory colleges are specialised to help you gain the technical knowledge you need to immediately begin a degree programme.
Currently 158 universities offer services through the Welcome programme and 160 universities and preparatory colleges in the Integra programme.
University contact partners and advising services
There are many advising services available to you at German universities. These services generally focus on academic advising, legal counselling, help with finding an apartment, and psychological support for traumatised refugees. Many universities cooperate with local and private interest groups. For more details about these services, we recommend inquiring at the university where you wish to study.
- List of International Offices at German universities
- Contact partners at universities in Brandenburg
- Contact partners at universities in Lower Saxony
- Contact partners at universities in North Rhine-Westphalia
The Refugee Law Clinics were initiated by German law students. They offer free legal counselling to refugees. Currently, there are Refugee Law Clinics in Berlin, Cologne, Giessen, Leipzig, Regensburg, Saarbrücken and Munich.
Organisations, mentoring, support services
Volunteer interpreters, help with university assignments or having someone accompany you to the municipal authorities – there are many organisations which offer a variety of services. Many of them organise recreational activities, such as sport events and parties.
Many German states provide lists of their university organisations. Unfortunately, a comprehensive list of all university organisations in Germany does not yet exist. You can receive detailed information about the organisations at the university of your choice.
Contact details and persons
- daad.de | Contact details of the International Offices at German universities
- mwfk.brandenburg.de | Contact persons at universities in Brandenburg
- studieren-in-niedersachsen.de | Contact persons at universities in Lower Saxony
- wissenschaft.nrw.de | Contact persons at universities in North Rhine-Westphalia
Refugee Law Clinics
- rlc-berlin.org | Refugee Law Clinic in Berlin
- lawcliniccologne.com | Refugee Law Clinic in Cologne (in German only)
- uni-giessen.de | Refugee Law Clinic in Giessen
- refugeelawclinic.uni-leipzig.de | Refugee Law Clinic in Leipzig (in German only)
- lawclinic.munich.de | Refugee Law Clinic in Munich
- uni-regensburg.de | Refugee Law Clinic in Regensburg (in German only)
- rlc-saar.de | Refugee Law Clinic in Saarbrücken (in German only)
- handbookgermany.de | Hanbook Germany
- mwfk.brandenburg.de | Study and access to higher education in the state of Brandenburg
- wissenschaft.nrw.de | Database of organisations in North Rhine-Westphalia (in German only)
- bildungsberatung-gfh.de | Advice to immigrant secondary school graduates, students and young university graduates
- experiment-ev.de | Homestay in a German host family
- hochschulforumdigitalisierung.de | Collection of links on digital information an educational services for refugees
- info.wefugees.de | The question & answer community for refugee topics