After arriving: 5 Things have to be done (1)

20/10/2017 - 06:09-0 Comments by | republic_of_china flag

Few days ago, when I arrived in Tübingen with joy, I did not realize how „bureaucratic“ matters work, such as enrolment at the university. Fortunately, with help of my friends, I understood and completed all of them in a short term. Because the administrative procedure could be quite different in Germany, it is always suggested not too late to deal with these 5 things.

1. Moving in a dormitory or a room

Normally, exchange students are guaranteed housing in the dormitory from the Studierendenwerk Tübingen-Hohenheim. As I signed the contract and moved in my room, „Hausmeister“ (caretakers of dormitory) gave me the „Wohnungsgeberbestätigung“ (landlord’s confirmation of residence), which is essential for the „Anmeldung“ in the „Bürgeramt“ (Citizens Registration Office). For those who live in a private WG, Wohnungsgeberbestätigung can be downloaded on the official website [1] and they should ask for landlord’s help to fill in this form. In addition, there are two things about room keys worthy of note. First, please make sure whether room door locks automatically when it is closed. Two of my friends were locked out because they had forgot their keys in room. As a result, they had to call locksmith and spent more than 40 euro to open it. Secondly, do not lose the room key. It is very expensive and difficult to get a new one in Germany, since the key of main door is maybe the same one of the main building. If someone loses it, all keys of the building has to be replaced. 😢😢 Accordingly, there is also key insurance in Germany.

2. Anmeldung in the Bürgeramt

„Anmeldung“ means registering your living address in Germany and is compulsory for every exchange student. The deadline of Anmeldung is two weeks after moving into a room in dormitory or a private WG. In some cities like Berlin, people should get a appointment before Anmeldung. Yet, you can go there directly in Tübingen. Please bring the identity card, Passport, Wohnungsgeberbestätigung and tenancy contract with you [2]. You will need to fill in the „Meldeschein“ (registration form) on site, but it is really simple. After Anmeldung, you will get the „Meldebestätigung“ (registration certificate), which is required as you open a bank account in Germany or obtain a tax number. Due to the great number of people at the beginning of semester, you may wait for quite a long time, so please also have patience with you and go there earlier. 😅😅 I got there at 8 o’clock and waited for about 30 minutes.

Bürgeramt in Tübingen





Tags: Accommodation, English Blog Post, First Steps in Germany


No Comments

(required will not be published)

Back to top